Re: sooty sparkplugs

To: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: sooty sparkplugs
From: Gary Gerding <ggerding@tconl.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 10:21:24 -0500

Dan Neuman wrote:

> Hello All,
>         My #3&4 or is it one and two... The two spark plugs nearest the
> fire wall look great. THe two farthest away are really coverd in black carbon
> soot???  Why would this be?? What do I need to do to fix this??
>
>                 Thanks,
>                 Daniel

  Hi Daniel,

Your front carberator is the problem.  If your car idles poorly when warmed up,
I'd check to see if that choke cable is hanging up!  If that's not the problem,
you
need to lean out the carberator.  If you have a 1600 with SU's, you need to
rotate
the 1"diameter knurled ring that's at the bottom of the carb where the gas
enters

after leaving the float chamber.  Clockwise rotation should lean the mixture.
You
cannot see what you are doing, you'll have to do it by feel.  I'd adjust the
ring
1/2 turn
and then drive the car for an hour and recheck the spark plug.  Hopefully each
time
you make this adjustment, the plug will get cleaner until the two front plugs
match the
two rear ones.

Good Luck,

Gary Gerding, 1967 SPL311, Omaha, NE