Re: antifreeze change? or not to change?

To: Dan Neff <neffster@mail.bemail.com>,
Subject: Re: antifreeze change? or not to change?
From: P or T <p-pie@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:07:38 -0400
Dan,

I have no hard proof of this, and don't know where my brain remembers
this from, but:  I always changed the coolant yearly - perhaps that was
a bit too anal -  with the reasoning that the electro-chemical reactions
that are created and will always exist between the aluminum head and the
iron block were actually dealt with through a compound in the coolant
that was sacrificial - something like a block of zinc bolted to the hull
of a ship sitting in salt water; the zinc attracted the majority of the
chemical reaction that wanted to take place, and so it corroded instead
of the hull.  Same thing with antifreeze: it may test out fine for the
properties that allow it to withstand boiling at high temperatures, but
the buffering agent may be almost all 'used up'.
Perhaps newer aluminum alloys used in modern engines are more resistant
to acting as an anode for the iron block, and so a longer interval
between changes is OK, but I'm sure that 30 years ago things were not as
far along, metallurgy wise.

For the sake of half an hour and maybe ten bucks for new antifreeze, why
not do it at least every 2 years - I once had a U-20 head from a parts
car that had corroded so badly (because it had NO antifreeze) through
the water jacket that it was unusable - full-o-holes!  Not the thing you
want to happen inside your engine.

....and, as is a popular saying within this group, that is my 2 cents
worth!...

Pete Long
Guelph, Ontario
'68 2L Solex