Re: Stereo install

To: kyle@sonic.net
Subject: Re: Stereo install
From: Dan Zubkoff <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 18:48:43 PDT
Kyle,

Fitting the 6.5 speakers into the door might be very tight. Two things to
consider:

1) Interference due to the diameter of the speaker (as you mentioned with
the problem due to the window crank)

2) Interference due to the depth of the speaker. How deep is the speaker?

Without custom fabrication, it might be hard to fit the 6.5 speakers into
the door. But, as van suggested, don't seperate the woofer and tweeter. Even
though the 6.5 speaker is called "a woofer", the frequencies produced from
the speaker are probably more 'full fange' (ie 90 - 7000). I'd really
recommend keeping them together. I'd also recommend using the passive
crossovers supplied with the speakers.

But for your dilemma. Where the heck would you mount the speakers??

...well....hate to say this but....can you return them for another size/type
of speaker? Cosmetically, for the doors,I'd recommend a smaller speaker. Say
5.25 or maybe even a 4 inch speaker.

Check out a company called Advent. They make a very thin, 5.25 Full Range
auto speaker that sounds FANTASTIC. They are reasonably priced; and though
it is a one piece speaker, they are quite accurate. Advent has been making
home speaker for many years.

The other speakers for the doors i'd check out would be the Boston Accoustic
4 inch full range speaker. Again, they sound nice, can handle a reasonable
amount of power and might really look good in the door panels. Be very
careful though to make sure that they aren't too deep.

Just my thoughts.....

Dan Zubkoff
1965 SPL310
San Mateo, CA