Re: Timing and Altitude

To: bdias@pipeline.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing and Altitude
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 21 May 99 16:07:03 CDT
Bob,

Any idea what distributor is under the hood?

Typically you want to run a MECHANICAL TOTAL ADVANCE
of 31 to 35 degrees BTDC. This would be measured
around 4,000 rpm, vacuum disconnected.

With my higher compression, and different camshaft,
usually I targe it about 31 BTDC. So this means
setting the timing to 16 BTDC @ 600 rpm.

A 'dial back' timing light helps with that total
measurement. You set a dial on the back of the
timing light to 31 degrees, then check to see the
TDC and pointer are aligned at 4,000 rpm.

If you go up in altitude, the air is thinner. You
will be running a richer fuel mixture. You should
not have to mess with the timing.

Mt. Shasta is a good trial run for this. Usually on
Sunday Morning we will do a "run to the rocks"
which means a nice drive from the City of Mt. Shasta
up to Bonnie Flat's (8,500 ft at the upper parking
lot). Last few years we have only made it to the
lower parking lot at 6,700 (?) ft.  I can feel the
car lose power as we get higher, due to the thinner
air.  The real fun part was watching everyone get
excited about snow, and run off to build a snowman...
and suddenly run out of breath!

One place where it is nice to have Solex's, is for
running the AutoX up at Shasta Ski Lodge. I think
the parking lot is around 6,000 ft elevation. Nice
to be able to tune the engine. Hmm, maybe even
Mike Kerr will bring out the TURBO 2000 this year!
[It has been a long time since I have seen Mike's
2000 around Shasta... ;-)]

For those curious about the weather around Mt Shasta...
noticed a new web site:  http://www.mtshasta.com
has a live video cam, and radar weather map. Interesting.

Cheers,

Tom Walter   '67 2000
Austin, TX   '68 2000