Re: exhaust questions

To: "Matthew W Peterson" <pete-3@juno.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust questions
From: "Rob Robinson" <FastrTime@t-three.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:30:54 -0400
> 1.  Should the exhaust pipe on both sides of the muffler be the same
> diameter?

Not unusual. Many cars are like this from the factory.

> 2.  I've heard talk of "glass packs".  What do these sound like in
> comparison to a standard muffler?

Depends. If the car has headers, a glasspack  will probably be too loud. If
the car has a stock manifold, the glasspack will sound sporty, but not
overly loud for most people.

> 3.  Any recomendations on what to put on a daily driver 1600?  I don't
> want it too loud but I would like to be able to hear a nice purr from the
> exhaust.

Before I decided to autocross my 2000 seriously, I had SU's, stock manifold,
2" pipe and a glasspack (Walker brand) It sounded deep and throaty, but not
too loud. Under full thottle acceleration, the exhaust noise was just a
little louder than the noises coming from the front of the car (intake, fan,
etc). Very sporty sounding. When I installed headers, 2.25" pipe and other
goodies, a single glasspack could be heard for several blocks. Just too loud
for street use. I installed a Dynomax "Ultra Flo" muffler (straight through
like a glasspack, but in a case 3"x8"x15") and it's acceptable. On the loud
side, but acceptable. For a daily driver with headers, I'd recommend a
"turbo" muffler. Many companies make these, in many sizes. The only bad
point is they tend to sound like "bb's in a mayonaise jar" when
decelerating. Sort of like a raspy fart. If you use a resonated tip or a
glasspack in series, that annoying aspect goes away.

Hope this is hepful.

Rob Robinson
CSP 67 2000
Roanoke, Va