factory Hardtops and the fairlady name

To: Datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: factory Hardtops and the fairlady name
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:55:03 -0700
Hi.  I have some input on this.  My 69 2000 Fairlady is a Japanese
domestic model.  Right hand drive, solexes,  factory hardtop, and
Fairlady badging..  The top is pretty light, sits on the edge of the
rear deck, is held in at the front with the standard 3 clamps and at the
back it bolts into two holes just behind the doors (you might have plugs
in these holes in 'normal' cars) and there is a clamp in the dead center
of the car just below the rear body edge (makes more sense if you look
for it) that another clamp hooks to.  Interior finish is one of those
blobby multi-color paint mixes that you often see in US domestic car
trunks.  I spoke with someone on the list a couple of years ago who had
the threaded anchors for the rear clamp on his car but no clamp. I gave
him dimensions and he fabbed one up.

regarding rollbars: the car came with a factory rollbar which I removed
for safety reasons.  It appeared to be made of 1" thin wall conduit and
was good only for telling your mom that you had a rollbar.  I believe
that a pretzel stick would have given better rollover protection.

I gave the rollbar to Mike Kerr who was planning to measure it up for
some aftermarket clones, but in better materials.  Note that this was
two or three addresses ago for Mike (back in fremont). Anything ever
come from that?  And that the car ran its best right after he adjusted
the carbs for me.  And Mike - I'm much more careful about walking on
people's carpets after getting out of their pools.  Sorry again.

The top (IMHO) looks and feels much better than any of the aftermarket
ones I have seen. and no, its not for sale.

Mark Miller
Alameda, CA