RE: datusn-roadsters-digest V1 #386

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: datusn-roadsters-digest V1 #386
From: katman <katman@2xtreme.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 00:12:41 -0700
Van,

Let's see what I recall on my '66 heater controls on the radio console. The
cowl air inlet cables go to the top left and top right levers. There's a set
screw that locks down the cable cladding to the frame, and another set screw
that fastens the steel cable wire to the lever assembly. Put the levers in the
shut/closed position, shut the cowl air inlets, and tighten the set screw on
the steel wire.

There's a cable that comes through the firewall from the hose inlet valve in
the engine compartment. That cable connects to the lowest lever. Clean up the
inlet valve so it operates smoothly, and reinstall it on the hose. Rotate it to
the open position, and fasten the steel wire at the valve. Then put the lever
at the "hot" position, and fasten the cable at this lowest lever assembly.

There's a short steel wire that connects to the left "door" on the front of the
heater. The other end of this wire has a loop that goes on a post on the air
control lever (center levers). There's a washer-clip retainer that holds this
loop in place. When you slide the lever to "Def", it closes the "doors" on the
heater so heat will rise through the defroster ducts. When you slide it to
"Room", it opens the "doors".

The remaining cable is the one that snakes through a hole in the rubber hose
going from the fan assembly to the cowl. This connects to the remaining post on
the center levers. When the lever is in the "Shut" position, it closes a cowl
inlet valve so outside fresh air no longer is delivered via the fan to the
heater core. Move the lever to "Def" and it opens this cowl inlet valve. Moving
it to "Room" also leaves it open.

The best way to understand it, is to take it apart and clean it, then play with
it. I straightened the cables, and lubed them. Also lubed the levers.

As for the knobs, the choke control is on the left, and the cigarette lighter
is in the middle. On the '66, the windshield washer control is on the right. On
the '67, the throttle control knob is on the right.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC