Re: brakes lines - bend or buy?

To: shifty@well.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brakes lines - bend or buy?
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 00:24:27 EDT
In a message dated 03-05-99 10:53:12 PM EST, shifty@well.com writes:

<< How hard is it to bend new brake lines? The lines are a mess on my '64.
 Am I better off buying new ones? Are fuel lines the same?

 Leigh Brooks >>

Hello Leigh,

Funny thing happened to me last year while drivning to New Mexico.  On a
Sunday morning at about 6am I took the exit off of the Interstate to get some
gas and my foot went straight to the floor.  Yikes...!  Now what...?!

Changing the brake line was a real pain in the neck!  Especially in 90+ temps
in a Best Western Parking Lot at 10am.  It took me over two hours!  The line
that I bought was from a NAPA Parts store.  I dont remember the size.  I just
brought in my old line.  Then I walked back to my car through the New Mexico
simmer heat two miles away.  <No I am not bitter>  ;>)  The line had to be
bent as I installed it.  Very difficult.  I would suggest that you buy the
lines prebent from one of our suppliers.  I think that I saw them at CDM last
year.

...no matter how much I pumped the brakes nothing happened!  Fortunately it
was a long exit and I was able to use my gears and handbrake.  (Hmmmm front
brakes I guess)  Located the crack in the metal lines and the bubbling paint
in the engine bay.  Tanked up and continued to drive for another 140 miles
with the handbrake.  Yes it was Sunday Morning out in the NM desert.  Very
little traffic.  Made it into Albuquerque and changed the line. Drove to
roadster list buddy, Joe Berkenbiles house and bleed the lines.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex
San Francsico, Ca