68 '2000 for sale

To: "'datsun list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 68 '2000 for sale
From: Jason Van Slyke <jvanslyke@ixpres.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:05:10 -0800
I bought a 68 '2000 about 8 months ago with the intention of getting a nice
car to fiddle around with.  However, my personality doesn't allow me to do
a half-job, so as I started getting into the restoration process I found I
have neither the time, patience, or money to do a proper job.

The car is titled as a '69 and has no rust.  It ran quite rough when I got
it and 15 miles after I set the valves to specification it started making
nasty noises.  So I pulled out the engine and took it to a machinist.  The
bottom end is in good shape but as it is a 2000, it could use new timing
chain and such.  The head is VERY bad.  The car may include an extra thick
original head, but only if the amount of money is right.  I can produce
receipts and the machine shop's recommendations and findings.

I pulled apart the transmission and sent the gears to Mike Kerr to look at.
 He told me they aren't in bad shape, but I might as well replace #1 and #2
synchronizers, as well as replace some other parts which are wear items to
be safe.  When I last drove the car it shifted fine but sometimes it
wouldn't "snick" into 3rd-it needed to be given a strong push.  The
transmission is apart and I can put it together again if need be, and it is
now sparkly clean.

The interior is in very good shape and it has a dash cover.  It has a roll
bar and the entire interior looks very nice except for the original seats
whose covers are ripped and the center from the steering wheel is missing.
 The convertible is complete but not in great shape.  The hard top with
opera windows fits, but not well (as all of them did, I gather).

There is no external sign of a crash ever.  The car has been repainted a
rather nasty metallic green and there are a fair number of small dings so
the paintwork isn't perfect.  There are no large dings.  The brightwork is
slightly dinged and the bumpers were painted black by the PO which really
made me PO'd.

I put Sta-Bil in the gas tank and idled it before pulling the engine out.
 The brakes worked fine and there is a set of silver aftermarket shocks
which I would put on except my lug nut wrench is cheap and short and I
can't get enough torque on the lug nuts.  The tires have virtually all
their tread left.

What this car is, is slightly tired but honest roadster in need of a
drivetrain.  I have all the parts for it and several new parts which
include: head gasket, unused re-rodded radiator, emblems, custom fit 4
season car cover, dust cover, convertible fasteners, some rubber gaskets,
etc.

I would like to give every one here a chance at it first, then I will put
it in the paper.  For a list member (and especially one who has helped me)
I will accept a reasonable offer.

Regards,
Jason Van Slyke
San Diego, (619) 282-0600