modified U20 Head

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: modified U20 Head
From: MMJB28A@prodigy.com ( CRAIG HALSTED)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:24:47, -0500
I was looking through my U20 heads last week to pick a nice one out
and came across one that had a couple modifications. behind the spark
plug holes, where most have a built up ridge that makes a more
distinct pocket around the valves, had been ground out and smoothed-
would seem this might make for a more uniform flame front- is this
what is referred to as "relieving" the head? the water passages had
been tapped and plugs threaded in. someone once told me this was an
old racer's trick. the casting on the front of the head, instead of
being all a rough cast surface, had what almost looked like casting
overflow on it- the numbers were still raised on this part, continued
on from the part that looks normal. almost looked like someone could
have welded up the front of the head and ground it down except for no
visible cracks and the raised numbers. had to have been cast that way.
 can anyone identify this as a racing head or whatever?

Thanks-
Craig Halsted
Malta, NY
roadsters