SU needles (again and again)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: SU needles (again and again)
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:19:40 EST
hello all,

    Two things happened about the same time. More SU needles came in and the
blisters on my fingers from the last batch are about healed up.
     Decided to try the infamous M-70 (late model smog) needle next.
   First: My sympathy to anyone who is stuck using this needle. If your car
will get through smog with a M-43 or M-39 then take a hammer and pound your
M-70 in the wall and hang a copy of Calspeeds calendar from it.
    Well, it might not be quite that bad, but close. The idle is way rich,
even with the adjustment all the way lean. Above idle it gets really really
lean. The classic case of "lean it out enough to pass smog at idle and it will
barely run down the road."  Once you get into the top half of the tach with
lots of gas pedal it improves again.
    If there is someone out there currently running the M-70 who would like to
try an experiment, then put in a set of M-39s or M-43s and go do a smog pre
test. With the pre test you won't get nailed as a gross polluter if it just
will not pass. I suspect that it will get through smog just fine and the
drivability is much better.
   I am going to road test these for a few days then I'll go on to the next
one. At this time I've got six different needles. So far I have tested three.

                                enough rambling for tonight.

                                               keith williams