Valve noise

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve noise
From: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:38:11 -0600
I have a 2L with about 4K miles, but 3 summers of light driving, on a valve
job.   Last summer I noticed an increase in valve noise.  I did a (actually
several) valve adjustments and it persisted.  I pulled the cover and
started the engine and, using a section of hose, tracted the noise to #3
exhaust valve.  I checked it and the clearance was ok.  I then swapped the
rocker with another one without success.  I then just tightened the thing
down to very tight clearance just to save my sanity.

The question is:   Before I pull the head and take it to a good maching
shop,  Is there anything that could cause the noise that can be resolved
with the head on the car.

John Schmitt    Telecommuter External # - 847-658-7074; Tieline - 698-9887
   Internal phonemail only  -  tl-348-4725 or 240-4725      pager pin#
8710561