Re: Pulling the Engine (oil pan removal)

To: Chris_Brucciani@mminet.com
Subject: Re: Pulling the Engine (oil pan removal)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:08:54 PST8PDT
Chris Brucciani writes:
> I read somewhere that removing the oil pan prior to pulling the
> engine makes it a little easier.  Any truth to this?

IMHO, i don't think I'd do this. First, it's a fair amount of extra
work, especially since you're yanking the engine out anyway.
If you aren't tearing down the engine, you've now opened it up
for getting gunk and junk in there, plus if something goes wrong
you're now going to crunch internal engine parts rather than the
pan.

And you're going to drip and dribble oil as you bounce that engine
around.

I recommend you pull the grille, radiator, and upper horizontal
radiator support bar (it unbolts on 68-70, but is it welded on
earlier cars? I don't know). Then you don't have to heft the engine
up as high to clear the body. And others will warn you: watch out
for the backswing, or that tranny tail will cost you the windshield :-)

-- John