Re: Seats

To: Michael Lynch <Datsun1600@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Seats
From: mg boy <mgmidgetboy@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:29:05 -0800 (PST)
Michael,

Have you checked the usual suspects (Sports Imports, Classic Datsun
Motorsports, Fairlady Products, Roadster Restoration, Rallye
Enterprises, The Roadster Ranch ...)

I've looked far and wide for replacement seat covers (replacement
upholstery) for the 1500, with no luck.  Arguably, this is a different
problem all together.  But, the price which you have been quoted is in
good agreement with what I have been quoted for the 1500.  The problem
with the 1500 is demand.  Not feasible for a shop to make a single
set, so they need to recover the cost of their time.

I've settled on the idea of doing my own upholstery.  The cost of a
vinyl that is equivalent in look, feel and will withstand the sun
(heat) is ~$7.00 per yard.
You need an industrial sewing machine (bought one, used, ~$100 +
repairs).  Add the cost of piping and a heavy duty thread and the
whole lot appears to cost ~$150-200!!

The cost of the item may not reflect the retail price, but I have to
convince myself that you are paying for someone else's time, energy
and expertise.  Hell, if I can't do that then how can I expect others
to value my time and effort!

Cheers,
Jeff