head aches

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: head aches
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:10:01 -0800
Yes , there is some things to check. First , let me say , I'm not a
professional datsun/nissan mechanic, so there are going to be much better
people out there to comment, but, based on my experience and the
ruminations of my machinist(my shop is/was a european restoration/ repair
place-I restored a 68 roadster for my SO and have grown to really enjoy
these cars) , the valve seats tend to work loose if they are original. Mine
were, and I had him replace them with seats more suited for unleaded fuel.
Also, check to make sure the valve stems are chrome flashed, as this is
more compatable with unleaded. Of course,if there is wear in the
stems/valve guides , now is the time.....
Did you check the head with a straight edge??? Limit is .004 I think.
Honestly, a good automotive machine shop should be able to strip the head,
inspect all the parts and give you an evaluation for about an hours labor
(or less if they are good). Keep in mind this will be an eyeball lookover,
but usually thats all that is needed unless there is interal corosion.

Don Boyd
dbji@whidbey.net