Blowing Internal Regulator Alternators

To: "Datsun 510 list" <bluebirds@bluebirds.ece.arizona.edu>
Subject: Blowing Internal Regulator Alternators
From: "Chris Erikson" <cerikson@precisionimages.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:07:34 -0800
Hi All,
 I seem to keep going through alternators ever since I ditched my stock
setup with the external regulator. I'm running an L20b with SU's, and a
Petronix ignition.

Ever since I switched over to an internally regulated alternator (from a 78
280z with A/C) I seem to keep blowing them or something. I've gone through 3
now in the last 18 months.  They just quit charging.

 I'm assuming that my ammeter should read current output from the alt if the
sense input is below about 13.4 to 13.8 V. Last night when I checked it, my
ammeter in the car showed a battery drain, the one I hooked to the alt
output showed 0 amps, and the sense input showed 12.4 and falling. I assume
the output should be sourcing current as long as the sense input is below
nominal voltage, and continue so until the sense input voltage rises to
nominal?

Maybe I'm not hooking them up right? I've got a wire straight from the
battery +12V to the sense input, increased gauge wire throughout the direct
charging path back to the battery to eliminate heat problems from a powerful
alternator, and a very good alternator ground.

They just seem to die on me. They're not choked with oil leakage from the
block, or have water dripping though them from a leak. They just quit
working. I haven't torn one down, though.  I do do a lot of driving with a
heavy current load, all six headlights going, heat on, wipers, stereo, etc,
but that's why I bought a beefy alternator. If a high output alternator
can't handle the load why do I keep buying them? Heck my stock units worked
this well, other than melting the diodes every six months so it worked out
the same and they were cheaper!

I do leave my lights on now and then and have to jump start maybe twice a
year. Could some element of that process be damaging the alternator?

Chris Erikson
Sammamish WA
71 510 wagon
67 2000 Roadster