Re: Famous Folks that own(ed) Roadsters a.k.a. Letterman's brushwith

To: Robert Keen <rekeen@mtu.edu>
Subject: Re: Famous Folks that own(ed) Roadsters a.k.a. Letterman's brushwith
From: "Mark G. van der Hoek" <captainhoek@koan.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:12:16 -0800

Robert Keen wrote:

> Simon-  You offered 10 points for movies of actor Brian Kerwin.
> Here's a list derived from from www.imdb.com.  (Nope; my Unix-based
> text mailer won't stick in clickable http:// addresses; sorry.)

Yes it will, Bob!  All you have to do is copy & paste or type in
the URL and it will  show up on most WWW-aware mail programs as a
clickable link.  It's not what YOUR program can do that counts,
it's what the recipient's program does that makes it a clickable
link.

The http:// that you typed in showed up in my Netscape Messenger
as a blue, underlined, fully clickable link.  It just happened to
go nowhere because the rest of the address was missing.  When I
click on it, I get the usual "Cannot locate domain" error message
that I would get from any bad URL.  But the point is, Netscape
recognized it as a link and TRIED to go there.  Had you typed the
"www.imdb.com" after it, it would have been a functional link for
any Netscape user.  MS Outlook Express and Eudora will do the
same.  I don't know if AOL's garbagé mail program is that smart.

There you have it.  Your computer lesson for the day, compliments
of an out of work engineer.  (Who speaks Unix.)

Mark van der Hoek
Hemet California
Former and Future 2000 owner