lower chain rattle

To: "Datsun Roadster" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: lower chain rattle
From: "ken pletcher" <pletch@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 22:53:22 -0800
Hi all,

  I have had a lower chain rattle in my 69 2000 since I've owned it for 3
years.  This weekend I disassembled the head and front cover to inspect for
damage.  What I found was appears to be the lower chain rubbing against the
front cover and oil sling,both are heavily marked and the chain only has a
slight shiny spot on the master link.  I hope the previous owner installed
the incorrect chain or installed it with the master link the wrong way.

  Here are my questions,there are shims behind my crank sprocket.
Should they be in front of the sprocket or behind it to prevent the chain
from hitting the front cover.

  There are marks in the oil sling but it is not completely chewed up.
should I reuse it or is it a cheap easy to get item ?

  Also,yes I know,while Im in there I'm replacing both chains,
tensioners,guides etc...

   Thank you
      Ken
DATSTER