Lotus 61

To: "Lotus Net" <lotus-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lotus 61
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@home.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:42:54 -0800
Hi There,
Being the "FNG" on the Lotus nets, let me introduce myself. I'm Carl
McLelland. I've been racing a series 1 Sunbeam Alpine this last year with CSRG
out in the west. This car was a real learning experience for me, having spent
the previous 37 years doing everything imagineable with Porsches.

10 days ago I realized another lifelong dream of purchasing a formula car. I
bought a 1969 Lotus 61 Formula Ford.

This car was last raced in 1993, and while I plan a frame-up restoration
before I race it, the car was very well preserved during it's 'layoff'. The
biggest problem is a bit of rust and corrosion from being an a salt air
environment.

My initial question, and believe me there will be many to follow as I really
get into this car, do any of you have any particular recommendations on:

1. Places you recommend for buying replacement parts,
2. People to avoid in getting parts and/or services,
3. Anything specific to check out, install, replace or avoid on the Lotus 61,
4. Anything that you would do if you were in my shoes........ restoring this
car for vintage racing.

Thanks in advance for your information and help. The vintage and Sunbeam nets
were invaluable in restoring and racing the Alpine. Hopefully, the Lotus nets
will be the same!
    Carl McLelland
    CarLynne Racing LLC
    http://carlynneracing.homestead.com/home.html