Re: rally elan

To: rodbean@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: rally elan
From: Mike Causer <mikec@dial.drakken.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:47:15 +0100
rodbean@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Actually, there was a guy (his name escapes me now) from around here who,
> after being sponsored by Chrysler for early-mid seventies pro rallying,
> actually prepared an Elan for the purpose.
>
> My reaction was horror at seeing an Elan formally prepared for organized
> destruction.  What was next, destruction derby?  But... to each his own.

There are lots of Elans used in "Classic" rallying around Europe, and they
are quite suceessfull too.  Not far from where I live there is a Plus Two
in full rally trim built by Peter Day.  It is a lovely looking machine,
very fast (170bhp and 4.7 final drive), and is used for tarmac rallies,  the
owner has a Mk2 Lotus Cortina for the rough stuff, although he's aquired a
Mk 1 to replace it.

I don't know what sort of rallies Rod has seen, but in Europe an Elan is a
good choice for many of them.

Mike