Re: Speedo Drive Ratios

To: ferguss@philly.infi.net
Subject: Re: Speedo Drive Ratios
From: Mike Causer <mikec@dial.drakken.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 10:28:30 +0100
Jeremy Fergusson wrote:

> Mike Causer wrote:

> > Easy!   Now where's m'slide rule?   Ah yes -- 25 times 4.11 divided by 3.89
> > -- that's 26.4   There you go, find a drive gear with 26.4 teeth.

> I knew there was a reason the World went digital... and left a few of us
> behind.

If you thought a 26.4 was going to be hard to find, the "digital" equivalent
is 26.413882 -- which is going to be harder still!

More seriously, if you are prepared to live with the fact that the speedo
will read illegally slow, why not just live with it?  There's a 6% difference,
which is probably less that the inaccuracy of the speedo in the first place.
I have a new motorcycle with completely electronic speedo which reads
consistently 10% out.

Mike