Re: Wheel Studs

To: kmccormick@cgsinc.com
Subject: Re: Wheel Studs
From: rodbean@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 10:28:40 -0700
kmccormick@cgsinc.com wrote:

> I keep breaking wheel studs on my 72 Europa TC.  I just replaced them again -
> and this weekends auto-x ended after 1 run when I broke 2 on a front wheel and
> lost the lugs somewhere on the course.   I use standard 5 1/2 Lotus wheels
>and I
> torque the lugs to 50lbs.  Anyone have any ideas ?

I've never heard of this problem before.  Having run a racing Elan on 6" wide
wheels with stock studs (which seemed too small... I always intended to change
larger ones) without any failures, I suspect some problem like too much offset
or
side loads on the studs maybe from wheels which have a slightly different bolt
circle.  Are you sure the wheels are solidly contacting the flange when bolted
up?

Rod