Fw: Brake lines

To: "Chapman Era" <chapman-era@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Fw: Brake lines
From: "A. Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 11:12:14 +0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Ostrov <mikeostrov@webtv.net>
To: atocha@globe.com.ph <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Monday, March 22, 1999 7:00 PM
Subject: Brake lines

Andy, good morning.  Back from the Donington Show. A bit smaller than
last year but still fun.  Had some Elite dinners with H. Chapman, F.
Bushell, R. Hickman, Ian Scott Watson and many more that contributed to
the Type l4.  Then spent a week in Switz with Sandie driving about.  Did
get to the Geneva Auto Show-magnficant.  Lotus had all 4 models  on
display.  Now home with this past weekend at Sears Point Vintage races.
Over 230 cars, 2 Elites, many Sevens, 3 Elans (l 26R).
  So 2 am and just getting to the mail. Saw your posting on stainless
lines.  I use them on all my currrent restorations.  Only a few
comments:  Somewhat more difficult to bend, but not much.  You must have
a 37* flare tool, not the standard 45* as all AN fittings are such.  The
Lotus lines use both the ISO double bubble flare and  inverted style,
which in standard bundy tubing must be double flared, but with stainless
can only be single flared at 37*.  No other problems.  I do make all my
-3 stainless flex lines using Areoquip fittings and then pressure check
to double operating pressure.  I have measured the  line pressure with a
5/8" bore master cylinder at  l300 to l500 psi with full foot force on
the pedal, both in  constant application and a spike "emergency"
depression.
  Appologies if you have worked with stainless before. but it does
require a bit of special handling.  But does it polishe to a lovely
finish.  Do feel free to edit or re copy these notes for the list or any
other application.
Hope all is well.  Chat again soon.  Cheers.  Mike.