5-speed update

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 5-speed update
From: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 01:04:56 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi!
Me and my father visited Spydersport a couple of weeks ago, we asked
them about their 5
speed convertion (Getrag box i think). They responded that the Getrag box
was to agricultural. However they were working on a new tailhousing for
the Ford sierra 5 speed box, they had just sendt a prototype away to have
a mould made. This new tailhousing is a shortened one compared to the
stock from Ford. In this conversion they were working on, they
were also
making some improvement in transfering of force from the gearstick to the
rail(s). Can't remember what they were doing, but he said they were doing
it the same way as many of the japanese do to get an improved feel to the
gearchange. The bellhousing that is needed, already exists(according to
the guy at spydersport), probably the same that caterham has been using
to bolt the 5 speed to the crossflow engine. He reckoned that the
convertion kit would be available in a couple of months. He also mentioned
that most people that would do the convertion probably would want to
change the ratios in the box as well, to make it suit the elan better. As
the original ratios is intended for "normal" cars that from time to time
is towing caravans.

Tor