Re: [British-cars] Knockoff Repair

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: [British-cars] Knockoff Repair
From: Mark Mason <mason@postdiluvian.org>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 15:06:23 -0400
WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:

> As for the magnet test, that does not indicate any iron content. In
> fact bronze (normally a copper/zinc alloy, the same as brass, can
> also use nickel and cobalt, both of which are ferromagnetic and will
> give you a bit of attraction from a magnet.  Of course some bronzes
> also have some iron, so you never know.

He speaks the truth.  But wait, you might say, a Nickel - US 5 cent
piece - won't stick to a magnet.  Doesn't matter.  In fact, you don't
even need the nickel or cobalt to have a bronze that a magnet will
stick to.

I don't understand it, but it's true.

I pulled a spare knockoff spinner out of my tool box - no wings on it,
it's a hex one, says "RIGHT SIDE   UNDO >--> UNDO", chrome plated.  I'd
guess MGB or Midget, maybe TR.  A magnet will stick to it, just
barely.  I reached in and scraped some metal out of the middle, it's a
very light copper based alloy.

Pot metal seems very unlikely for knockoffs, it's way too soft.
Bronzes can be had that are stronger than mild steel, it's easy to
cast, easy to machine, easy to polish, takes plating well, and won't
rust, so it's pretty ideal.

It's probably possible to fix, although I'd guess that replating would
cost more than a new one.  The center isn't structural, but the alloy
is brittle enough that you're unlikely to pop it out without breaking
it.  You could probably grind the chrome off the center, fill it in
with braze, turn it in a lathe (or by hand if you really do have
infinite time), and replate, and probably wind up with something that
looks like you took a dented knockoff, ground the chrome off the dent,
filled it in with braze, and had it rechromed.