RE: Smith's tach question

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>, Spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Smith's tach question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:23:35 -0400
At 03:04 PM 9/22/2006 -0700, Randall wrote:

>> He's got a problem with the tach.  It's Smith's with  a
>> magnetic pickup,
>> a wire loops around a pickup piece.
>
>This loop of wire is on the back of the tach, right ?  That sounds like one
>of the early current-triggered tachs, like the one on my early Stag.

Randal,

WOW!!  That's exactly what we are talking about!!  Thanks a ton for the
page from the Smith's manual.  That should do the trick!!!!

>The loop of wire on the back needs to be in series with the low tension side
>of the coil.  I don't _think_ it matters which side of the coil it's on
>(between the coil & the points or between the coil & the switch), but it's
>on the supply side both on my Stag and on the attached installation
>instructions.  (The instructions are for an aftermarket version, OEM
>versions look a bit different but the installation should be the same.  My
>Stag tach is grounded through the case, so only usable on negative ground
>cars.)

That makes perfect sense.  I don't know why I didn't think of that!!!

I was worried about going streight to 12V and to the points.  Thanks
for the help!!!

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic