RE: british-cars-digest V1 #761

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: british-cars-digest V1 #761
From: "S t e v e n J a c k s o n" <tvr2500m@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:26:47 -0500
== british-cars at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

Wow!  Yes, this is as much traffic as I've seen on this list.  I'd first
joined this list very near its beginning.  Left, then came back again
recently.  The is list MUCH quieter than it was about 10 years ago.  I
suspect most folks have gone away from the list-serv groups and off to the
marque-specific splinter groups/hosted thread lists.

How did I get to my favorite marques?  Long story short, I used to have a
thing for German cars.  Someone laughed at me calling German cars heavy and
ponderous.  They introduced me to smaller, lightweight things like a very
lovely Alfa Guilietta and Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE.  In college then a lot of cars
passed through my hands.  Quite mix, really.  Finally, I bumped into a TVR
2500, then a Lotus Europa JPS.  I smitten.  This was my thing.  Very overall
high-performance with an emphasis on rare-levels of chassis performance - at
least for a production road car.  I also enjoy the performance pedigree,
parimonious quality, and quirkiness.  Soon after college I found that the it
was all about the track for me, not so much touring through the countryside,
as nice as this can be sometimes, particularly if it's taking me to or from
some track seat time!  As much as I enjoy the cars I own today, I've found
the ownership of my toy cars is so much about track use that I may have been
better served going an entirely different direction, though still with
British cars.  Things like Van Diemens, Ralts, or Reynards (oh, to have a
Chevron B16 or Ford GT40!) would have probably worked out best.  The plan
now is to get into a late model FF when I can.

Cheers,

- SJ

'67 Lotus Elan S3 dhc
'76 TVR 2500M