differential oil seal MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: differential oil seal MGB
From: rfl <rfl@yerkes.uchicago.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:59:04 -0600
== british-cars at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

I have a 65 MGB with the banjo axle. I need to replace the pinion oil
seal.
I've pulled the flange off and managed to extract pieces of the
previous seal.
The replacement seal (from Moss) is confusing to me. There is still
what might
be more remains of the seal that appears to be pressed into the
differential.
It also appears to be metal. It's right at the end of the
differential that the
flange would fit to.

The flange and what I take to be the dust cover came off together.

So the question is do I need to extract that pressed ring of metal
and replace
it with the new seal? If so, does the seal get pressed just inside
the tube and
no farther?

If not, I really don't see how to put this seal in at all.