Cortina GT/Morgan pistons?

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cortina GT/Morgan pistons?
From: Mark Mason <mason@postdiluvian.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:16:13 -0500
Hi All,

I just subscribed in hopes of getting some help with an engine rebuild
for a 1964 Moirgan Series V 4/4 Competition.  The engine in question
is a 1500cc Cortina GT unit (pre cross-flow), and I'm having trouble
finding pistons for it.  It's already 40 over, and the bores are
rusted from sitting before I got the car.

The only pistons I've been able to find so far are fancy forged ones
in the vicinity of $700 for a set, which is a bit rich for my budget.
They're generic flat top pistons, nothing fancy, but nobody seems to
have the Hepolites anymore.  I wouldn't mind paying more for forged
ones, but $700 is more markup than I'm used to - maybe I've just been
spoiled by A-series prices.

Anyone got any ideas?

A look through my old AE catalog shows some other engines that might
be able to donate the pistons with minor machining, there's a Subaru
that will just require different wristpin bushings.  Anyone have any
experience along these lines?

I also wouldn't mind finding a pair of 125E (Lotus) rods for this
engine, in case anyone has a set sitting around they don't need.

Thanks for any piston info anyone might have, or any other suggestions
for this engine.