RE: Engine outlet hose for Lotus Europa

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine outlet hose for Lotus Europa
From: Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 01:32:52 -1000
I wrote to several suppliers and received a nice response from
Dan Reilly at Gates. He sent me a catalog of their automotive applications
and confirmed that they do not make the specific hose I am looking
for. However, he did say this, which may be of some help to other readers:

> Note that you can size down
> 1/8" of an inch for installing coolant hose. Suggest that you look at
> the 1 1/4" I.D. hose on both ends for possible replacement. Lube the
> inside of the hose with coolant to apply to the spout on your
> application. It should work.

Mark Rosenbaum was one of several who suggested making an adaptor. My
concern for this solution is to maintain adequate flexibility. Fortunately
the Lotus endgine does not thrash around as much as the usual 4-banger,
because the transmission is part of the suspension. Even so, if the 4"
gap between the engine outlet and the pipe is filled in with too much
solid metal, something may break.

I have the new, too-short cuffed hose, and yesterday I picked up a short
copper sleeve from Home Depot with the same ID and OD as the pipe. My plan
is to use it to "extend" the pipe, using a short piece of 1 1/4" ID hose;
a variation of Mark's solution. If that comes apart, I'll try Dan's
solution.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

--