Re: avenger-seeking a nice idle

To: rnossa76@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: avenger-seeking a nice idle
From: Diane and Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:41:22 -0700
Is it hard to start?  If not, it's probably not the coil.  Not a
guarantee, but that's
been my experience.  Another possible ignition problem, assuming it's non
electronic, is points adjustment or a bad or improperly grounded
condenser.

If you still suspect the coil, since they're kinda pricey to replace, see
if you can
try out a borrowed one from another car before buying one new.

However, I would put vacuum leak at the top of the list, especially since
your
carb is freshly rebuilt and it's highly likely the idle jetting/circuity
is OK.  Roughness
due to a vacuum leak is usually more noticeable at idle.  Put a piece of
hose to your ear
and move the other end around the intake area and listen for hissing
sounds.   Another
option is to spray propane or maybe carb cleaner around the intake area
and see if the
engine smooths up.  The propane is probably safer since it's not likely
to ignite if you
hit an exhaust hot spot or leak.

Roland