RE: Paint for TR7 undersides?

To: <Eganb@aol.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Paint for TR7 undersides?
From: "J. Le Clainche" <jleclainche@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 18:20:02 -0700
Bruce,

Regarding your first question - I am no expert, but I think nothing beats
good preparation and top quality automotive paint. I am always wary of any
"miracle" product!

I remember well all the hype for "miracle" underside coatings in England in
the mid to late 70's and early 80's... I used such a coating (can't remember
the name- started with an S or Z?)) on my fist Sprite- and lived to regret
it. No matter how well you prepare the surface, eventually the covering will
crack or split, water will get between the coating and the metal... the
coating will keep the water trapped... and the metal will rust. Even worse,
because  the coating looked so good outside, I did not find out till quite a
bit of damage was done. Promised myself never to do that again.... not that
I would need it here in So Cal anyways! 8-)

Jacques Le Clainche, 1959 bugeye with rust free and original body.