auto transportation

To: "british cars digest" <british_cars_digest@us.ibm.com>
Subject: auto transportation
From: "James Laukaitis" <jim5@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:56:03 -0500
Folks,
     I just brought my 1967 MGB-GT up from Long Island to Westchester, NY.
About an 80 mile trip. I used a U-Haul car carrier, and a friend with a
Ford F150, 4WD, Extended Cab. I gave him $50 for helping me out, gas, etc.
The U-Haul cost $75 total. My friend, while we were at U-Haul made a $23
investment in a 2" ball (which they put on for free) and a adaptor for his
standard electrical connection (Ford). The adaptor cost more than the ball.
The car trailer worked great. It came with everything you need to tie the
car down. Two ratchet type nylon harnesses to go over each front wheel, and
a chain to wrap around something in the front and the back. The only thing
that was a little interesting is the the track (?, distance between the
wheels, width wise) is kinda short, and cutting it close, but it fit with
some guidance from someone outside the car. The driver side trailer fender
folds down so you car get out of the car without hitting the door against
it. It really is a sweet setup. If you don't have to pay anyone to tow,
then it is a $75 job.
     Remember tolls do cost more. Also in NY a large truck like that can
now be registered as a passenger vehicle, but that no longer counts when
you are towing a trailer. Check the local rulebooks.
     Another note*: I am pretty sure U-Haul is the only car company that
will let you rent the car carrier and use your own tow vehicle. Every other
company will only set you up with a package, i.e. you need to use one of
their trucks to tow the car trailer. At those prices I checked around and I
could get a local tow service on LI to flatbed it for cheaper. The even
cheaper route is a car dolly which puts the front wheels on a dolly and the
back wheels travel on the road. It means disconnecting your driveshaft. I
just didn't want to go that route.

Cheers!

Jim L
email: jim5@us.ibm.com
karma - n. - the force produced by a person's actions in one of their lives
which influences what happens to them in their future lives