Re: now automatics... RE: R&P ratios TR4

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: now automatics... RE: R&P ratios TR4
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:24:04 -0500
John writes:

>>I always remember what the owners manual of my '65 Valiant said about the
>>transmission.  "The Torqueflite transmission requires no servicing
>>throughout the life of the vehicle".  This was in the era of the first 5
>>year - 50,000 mile warranties.

I had 1974 Plymouth with a Torqueflite from new.  The owners manual
pretty much repeated what is stated above and I took it to heart.
No filter or oil changes unless the car was used for severe service
such as police or taxi.

On a ski trip to Vermont the over night temps dropped to 5dF.  That
morning the car didn't go into reverse right away.  The transmission
made a moaning sound until the car warmed for 2-3 minutes.
It cleared shortly after.

After I was home I opened the factory service manual under
"Troubleshooting".  Suggested fix: Change the oil and filter.

Since the car had already gone 200K on the original transmission oil
and filter I took this to mean I was now in the "severe service"
region. <grin>

With fresh oil and filter the transmission reverted to it's former
flawless performance.  Sadly, at 240K the floors were so rotted I
decided to it was time to junk the car.  I wonder who's using that
tranny today.  :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley