Re: TR7 Backup Light Mystery -- I lied

To: Eganb@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: TR7 Backup Light Mystery -- I lied
From: DEVierling@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:38:26 EST
Bruce,
I am reminded of a problem I used to have with my Fiat 124 Spider (so many
years ago...).

One day, when signaling for a turn, the instruments (all electronic) went
dead.  I'd get home and find the fuse for the turn signals, instruments and
backup lights (brake lights might have been on that circuit too) would be
blown.  So, I'd replace the fuse and there'd be no problem, until the next
time it happened, seemingly at random.

Anyway, it turned out the back-up light switch on the trans was bad and the
back-up lights were on all the time.  When I had the turn signals on the
circuit drew too much current.  Since back-up lights were only on the US
import cars, I guess they added them to any convenient circuit as an
afterthought.  The chance you would be backing up and signaling at the same
time were slim, so I guess it worked well enough for the Italians.  After
replacing the defective switch on the trans I never had the problem again.
You would be wise to check EVERY connection and switch on your backup light
circuit.  I find almost everything on these British cars is an afterthought.
Good luck!
donny v
1978 MGB