TR7 backup lights mystery

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: TR7 backup lights mystery
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 19:14:00 EST
Ok, have fun with this one.  A number of you have been giving advice as I try
to track down an intermittent problem with my backup lights.  Sometimes they
work, sometimes they don't.

There was always 12 volts going to the lights, but that didn't seem to
matter, so I assumed there was excessive resistance or a short somewhere.  I
checked all the wires I could, stopping short of taking the entire dash off
to follow the hot leads.

As I tested, I would fry the 15amp fuse from time to time, by accidentally
touching the hot lead to something by mistake.  Today I ran out of 15 amp
fuses, so I substituted a 25amp, and voila, the backup lights work great, and
nothing SEEMS to be overheating.  So, currently, with a 15amp fuse, the
lights sometimes work.  With 25 amp fuse, they seem to work all the time.

Does that make sense, and is this a legit fix for the problem, or should I
eventually continue to check, because there's a short/high resistance
somewhere?

Meanwhile I'll see if a 20amp fuse also works.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC