My positive ground 1961 MGA - positive/negative

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: My positive ground 1961 MGA - positive/negative
From: "Don Mathis" <don1@mailstart.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:35:43 -0700
Thanks for all of the replies.  There were so many questions/comments
I'll try to summarize.  My "audio system" will be 2, 20 watt
rms rated plastic case speakers mounted on brackets in the top
of the footwell.  I had this before in a TR4A and it worked well.
(We can discuss acoustics in a later note.) The 25 watt/channel
amplifier is designed for a negative ground car.  I can still
use it if I run wires from the negative and positive terminals
of the battery to the amplifier and insulate it from everything
since the case will be negative and the car's body is positive.
(i.e. mount the amplifier on plastic standoffs and put a plastic
shield around it so nothing can touch it and the car body at
the same time.)

I am going to run a small wire and jack from the input of the
amplifier under the carpet so that it exits just behind the shift
lever.  I'm then going to use a small battery powered AM/FM stereo
radio with memory buttons and seek buttons.  When I park I can
just unplug the radio and put it in my pocket or the trunk and
it will not be stolen.  I can also use a small CD player or cassette
player in place of the AM/FM radio.  I will have no antenna since
it is built into the radio.

There were many suggestions but I will probably feel saftest
if I simply change out the polarity of the entire car.

Thank you for all of the help.

Don Mathis
Atlanta, Georgia