Brushing vs Spraying

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brushing vs Spraying
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:16:33 EDT
Hi everyone,

I've been working on my project car trying to get it on the road by next
summer, and have a few questions regarding painting.  I am now working in a
different environment than I have in the past, and I now have the need to be
more careful about airborne particles.

I've stripped all of the sheet metal bare, and have treated the steel sheet
metal parts with Oxysolve to disolve oxidation.  This past weekend I completed
the backsides of the wings "brushing" POR-15, then adding a color coat once the
POR-15 surface became tacky.  I have to say I was very pleased to find the
brushed on finish had turned out very nice with no brush marks.

I now have the bare metal exterior surface to complete which takes more care.
Since I am concerned about airborne particles, I'd like to brush on the epoxy
primer that I am using, then when that surface is ready, I'd like to brush on
the sandable primer I am planning to use prior to all of the finish sanding.
Once all the finish sanding is complete, I will spray the color coat just like
I have in the past.

Has anyone on this list tried this procedure before?  i.e. brushing primer?

Thanks,

Scott Helms