World Series results in question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: World Series results in question
From: BROWNING_G_WILLIAM@Lilly.com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:21:01 -0500
Enjoy:
Bill B
BJ8

 Mets Call for New World Series
 By Dorothea Cooke
 November 15, 2000

 New York - The New York Mets announced Wednesday they are petitioning
 Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig and the US District Court in
 New York City to get an additional inning added to Game 5 of the World
 Series, which they lost to the Yankees by a score of 4-2. The game ended
 on a pop-up by Mets slugger Mike Piazza, giving the game and the
 championship to their cross-town rivals.

 Piazza said there was no way he meant to hit the ball to Yankees
 centerfielder Bernie Williams on the warning track of Shea Stadium. "I
 meant for that ball to go all the way out of the park and take us to the
 next game. I misread Mariano Rivera's pitch. I mean let's face it, I'm
 Mike Piazza and it is my right to hit a home run. That's what I've done
 all season. I demand another at bat."

 Mets General Manager Steve Phillips and Manager Bobby Valentine said the
 outcome of the game could alter their earlier decision to fire hitting
 coach Tom Robson.

 "Because of the confusion of the balls being thrown our way, a man has
 lost his job," said the usually emotional Valentine. Between tearful sobs,
 Valentine said the Yankees admitted to deliberately confusing Mets batters
 by mixing up their pitches and making it impossible for his normally
 hot-hitting team to win.

 "We are going to keep playing Game 5 until we like the outcome," said
 Valentine. "We want a new game and new balls."

 Mets management was joined by members of the Major League Baseball Players
 Union, who said they supported the Mets, but urged everyone "not to rush
 to judgment and let this game be played out," for the sake of the fans.

 "We meant to hit those pitches from the Yankee pitchers," said Phillips.
 "We were confused by the irregularities of the pitches we received and
 believe we have been denied our right to hit."

 Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte, winner of game 5, said there was "no way"
 he was going to "telegraph" to the other team when he was throwing his
 sinking fastball. "I did that last year and it took all the fun out of the
 season and almost got me traded," Pettitte said while fishing in his home
 state of Louisiana.

 One claim specifically noted by Mets attorney Alan Dershowitz was that a
 small percentage of the Mets batters had intended to swing at Roger "The
 Rocket" Clemens fastballs, but couldn't keep up with them. However, that
 should not disqualify them from being allowed to bat continuously,
 Dershowitz argued.

 But a high-ranking front office official for the Yankees who requested
 anonymity accused Dershowitz of "extreme partisanship," in the matter,
 citing the attorney's support of the Boston Red Sox, arch rivals of the
 Yankees. "The friend of my enemy is my enemy," said the official.

 Several hitters said they found themselves confused by closer Marino
 Rivera's cut fastball as well. Mets hitters said they weren't sure if they
 were swinging at sliders or curveballs from any of the Yankee pitchers.

 One Major League Baseball official, who asked not to be identified said,
 "It was clear that these batters never intended to swing at curve balls,
 though a much higher percentage were not confused by the pitches."

 Several sports reporters at the press conference pointed out that the Mets
 had extensively reviewed film of the Yankees pitchers prior to the World
 Series and had in fact faced the Yankees in inter-league play earlier in
 the year.

 "The fact remains that some of the pitches confused us and denied us of
 our right to hit," said Valentine. "The World Series is not over yet and
 the Yankees celebrated prematurely and we understand they are already
 ordering their championship rings."

 ,Major League Baseball has reviewed the telecast of all the World Series
 games and recounted the balls and strikes called by the umpires of each
 game.

 "While some of the strikes called against the Mets were, in fact, balls,
 there were not enough of them to change the outcome of the World Series,"
 said Selig.

 Another portion of the Mets legal claim stated that according to the
 on-base percentage of the team, the Mets had actually won the World
 Series, regardless of the final scores of the games. "It's clear that we
 were slightly on-base more often than the Yankees," said a Mets spokesman.
 The Mets had eight hits compared to seven for the Yankees in Game 5.

 "The World Series crown is rightly ours," said Valentine, but Yankee
 Manager Joe Torre dismissed the claim, calling the Mets "sore losers."

 "Quite frankly I expected more from them. They are a class organization
 from top to bottom," said Torre. "But this World Series was clearly an
 engagement of democracy in action. Everyone on the team produced, from
 utility infielder Luis Sojo to Jose Vizcaino and an injured Paul O'Neill.
 In certifying this victory for the Yankees, we respect and abide by the
 will of baseball fans everywhere."

Christopher C. LeMasters
Eli Lilly and Company
Manager, Corporate Business Development