Re: tr7

To: <Eganb@aol.com>
Subject: Re: tr7
From: "John D'Agostino" <jdagostino@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:32:04 -0400
Hi Bruce
The cylinders sound fine. The crankshaft will need to measured to see how
bad it is before a decision to grind is made.
Crankshafts shouldn't wear much at all since they ride on a film of oil
under pressure (in theory). It's when you lose oil pressure or have dirty
oil or heavy loads that the wear gets severe.
I would look for a new oil pump or find a guy to rebuild it if possible,
they shouldn't wear much either since it's a "gear" type pump immersed in
oil. Take it apart and examine it for wear is about all you can do.
I would bet you can get a new tensioner as well, I was able to get one for
my Daimler.

Maybe the noise was the chain flopping about after the oil heated up? I
would think that when there is no oil pressure the chain should be loose?
Hard to say without looking at it.

As for the clutch, a good shop can test it, make sure you (they) examine the
flywheel for heat scoring, many a good clutch has been blamed on an over
heated flywheel. It should be resurfaced or if really blue replaced. If they
rebuild or replace see if they can balance the parts also.

Keep up the good work.
John