Re: stuck bolt on rear MGB spring

To: "Scott C. Williams" <scott@oldertech.com>
Subject: Re: stuck bolt on rear MGB spring
From: Mike Denman <mikedenman@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 18:09:16 -0700
Years ago I had exactly the same problem with a GT6.  I started out
trying to replace the bushing under the car on the rear spring.  By the
time I got through I had, what seemed at the time, half the car in
pieces.  I tried heat, heat with pounding, penetrating oil etc.  Nothing
worked.  I ended up cutting through the bolt on both sides of the spring
with a hacksaw.  Then I took the spring out and mounted it in a vice.  I
thought that with a good swing with a heavy hammer and the spring held
in a vice that this would be easy.  WRONG!  The stupid bushing still
wouldn't come out.  The rubber was absorbing too much of the hammer
shock.  I finally got it out by drilling the bolt (leaving a little bit
on one end to take a punch) almost completely out, but it still took
several heavy hammer blows to dislodge the rusty bolt.  For years I kept
the bolt on the window sill of my garage to remind me of how mad I was
that day.  Being older and maybe even a little bit wiser, I now install
bushing bolts with a dab of white grease.  I also use stainless steel
bolts, when possible, for this application.  Good luck with your
problem.
Mike Denman
1966 Marcos
1965 Lotus 7