Subject: Still shimmies- I'm running outa ideas.

To: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Still shimmies- I'm running outa ideas.
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:08:09 -0700
I have a suggestion from the Alpine history.  When they were driving around
the pre-production prototype Sunbeam Alpines, there was a problem with
shimmies.  To solve the problem, they put diagonal cross-bars that went
from the top of the wheel well (which at that time was attached to the top
of the suspension where the shock mounted), to the back firewall.  You can
see these bars on every production Alpine and Tiger.  However, in the
Tigers and later Alpines, the top of the suspension was not directly braced
over to the wheel well.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that you add these cross tubes to the TR3.  I'm
only suggesting that some sort of looseness in the front fender or wheel
well area was perceived to be the problem.

On the other hand, when I put in my dual side draft Webers into the Alpine,
they hit that cross bar.  So, I removed the cross bar.  I have not noticed
any excessive shimmying.

Maybe you should duct tape a vcr camera pointing at the wheels or under the
car, or something to see if you can see the problem.  (Of course, you'll
need a long extension cord, or a battery operated camera ;-)

Jay