Lucas Distributor numbers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas Distributor numbers
From: Steve Adderson <S.G.Adderson@ukc.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 11:08:39 +0000
Stephen Luckett wrote:

>Under the category of 'just when I was starting to understand.....':
>
>Just what does the Lucas distributor type number mean?
>
>As the owner of a not-that-common vehicle (Jensen-Healey), I am
>constantly on the lookout for other applications of components I
>need. The distributor in the 73-74 JHs is a Lucas 25D as is stamped on
>the casting and noted in the Workshop Manual. I was interested to see
>in the Feb 95 issue of Practical Classics (p.29) a picture of a
>distributor purportedly from a Triumph 2000 which is also clearly
>stamped as a 25D. The problem is however that it is not even close to
>being the same thing. The vacuum unit enters from the other side (a
>mirror image as it were) - so obviously the casting is not the same,
>and the points etc. are not the same. Direction of rotation is the
>same.

The distributors fitted to a lot of Minis are also 25D (25D4).
Looking down at the top of the dizzy, the vacuum unit with vernier
adjuster is on the left hand side with the diaphram at the top.
The contact breaker points are at the bottom left.  Guess what I was
doing this weekend.

I don't know if these are the same as the ones fitted to triumphs
but the springs may differ between applications.  If you need new/old
parts, they are quite common over here in the UK.  Mail me if you
need anything and I'll see what I can do.

Steve