Re: Crane ignition compatibility?

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: Crane ignition compatibility?
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 12:46:56 -0500
>Thinking about getting a Crane electronic ignition for my MGB.
>
>Anyone know if the units are compatible with the Smiths electronic
>tach?  The ignition is supposed to dump a higher primary voltage into
>the coil, and the tach runs off of the points side of the coil....
>
>                        A. B. Bonds

I have had an Allison (same thing) on my '73 B since 1989 and it works very
well.  I didn't know that it could or might affect the Tach so I didn't do
anything about it.  Tach works fine though.  Does it actually dump higher
primary voltage into the coil, or is it the amplifier itself that requires
the 12 volts?  Its been so long, I can't remember the wiring.

Allen Bachelder