Jag Tapping Noise

To: Jag Lovers <jag-lovers@psy.uwa.edu.au>,
Subject: Jag Tapping Noise
From: "Steve S. Heracleous" <madman@austin.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 16:36:07 -0600
Hey guys and gals,....

I hope I am not boring you with this but here I go again.... (84 XJ6)

Do you know of an easy way to press tappet guides down? The tappet guides
on my car sit about 7/32" to 9/32" from the cylinder head surface. The
retainer kit allows about 3/32" exposure of the tappet guides over the
surface of the cylinder head if the retainers are to be installed flush
with the cylinder head surface....I do know that the 2 forward intake tappet
guides cause noise (tiny gouges exist at the bottom side affirming that).

I removed the intake side camshaft, placed a large socket over the tappet
guide (after removing tappet and shim) and hammered on it light to moderate
(that's right! Brute Force!) to push it down. Did not budge one bit!
One thing that I noticed is that the forward bearing was
worn. The rest of them were ok for 41000 miles. Would you replace the one
bearing that appears bad or go for the whole set including camshaft?

I figured its time to get some expert advice.... before I hammer the guides
to pieces.... Any ideas? I am looking for any input especially for you
guys who installed the retainer kit.....do I remove the head and have a shop
press the guides down? Or should is there another one of pushing the tappet
guides down....I used a microscopic light to see if there is any room for the
guides to go and there's plenty...that would not be a problem.

Here's another observation. All the exhaust side tappet clearances were
either 0.010" or 0.011" (below normal) with one exception (0.014").
However, all the intake side clearances fell between 0.012" to 0.014" (normal).
I do know that the intake tappet clearance were adjusted about 3,000
miles ago (before I got the car).  Now, is it normal for clearances
to shrink as the miles pile-up? (exhaust side).

Help!!

Cheers!
Steve Heracleous (madman@austin.ibm.com)

------- End of Forwarded Message