Vinyl paint

To: Fine Fellow Scions <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vinyl paint
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 13:55:56 -0800 (PST)
List,
        I do have to say that vinyl paint is a really good thing for us
restorers.  Now don't get me wrong, it won't do everything, but for low
abrasion vinyl applications, it's a wonderful product.
        Example: 1971 TR-6.  The owner bought several new molded vinyl
pieces, and wanted me to put them in.  However, the radio console, along
with the switch plate (both molded vinyl), were in excellent original
shape.  I first did a thorough prep clean with laquer thinner (to act as
a cleaner and plasticiser).  Then I sprayed both the new and original
pieces with the black vinyl paint.  It gave all of the pieces the same
color and sheen.
        Done same on a few other cars, and the results have always been
good.  I do think if one were to use it on seats or door panels that
there would be a problem with wear-through, so I have limited my
applications to dashes, etc.
        Hope this is useful.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6