Re: Oil

To: WATSON@wmich.edu
Subject: Re: Oil
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 10:03:51 PST

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995 WATSON@wmich.edu wrote:

> LBC silly question content...
>
> When I bought my '78 Spit I did not know what type of oil was being used in
> the brake or clutch cylinders.  Is there any way to tell if it's synthetic or
> natural oil?

How much paint is left around the master cylinders? That's often a good
way to tell (silicone brake fluid tends not to eat paint). ;-)

> Also, I have read that standard American brake fluid is bad for the natural
> rubber parts in the brakes.  What should I do if I have added standard
> Amercian brake fluid to the original English Castrol stuff?

We've been 'round this topic before, and I'm sure we'll go 'round it
again. I always use Castrol-Girling GT/LMA/FDIC/LSMFT/whatever, but you
should have no trouble mixing with other brake fluids of the same type. I
have seen many instances on MGs, Triumphs, etc. where owners used the
brake fluid du jour without incident, even over long periods of time.

I would NOT mix regular brake fluid with silicone brake fluid, though.

> Margaret Watson '78 SPIT (but still looking for the perfect '68)

Andy Mace