RE: Spit starting problems

To: "'British cars'" <British-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Spit starting problems
From: "Preston, Mark" <MPRESTON@cosmpdgate.ftcollinsco.ncr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 14:36:00 MST
Tom Story wrote:

 ----------------------------------
Thanks so much to everyone who replied about my Spit starting troubles.
I've set the distributorto fire on No 1. cylinder...still not starting. I
tried switching the plug wires around, nothing. The engine turns over very
fast, it's not sluggish at all, but it's not even making an attempt to
start. Question...Could there be something so completely out of whack with
the carb (Stromberg 150CD4) as to not start? I've pulled the fuel line out
if the carb, and it's getting fuel......

............ as the engine has good compression,
fuel(?) and air, and the sparks plugs are sparking. I'm sure there's a
super easy answer to this problem...
 ---------------------------------
Tom,

Having fuel and air are a good start but the critical issue is air to fuel
ratio. My experience has been if you have the proper air/fuel ratio and a
spark but the timing is incorrect the engine will backfire, typically at the
most inopportune time, like when your head is in the engine compartment
while someone else is cranking it!

I currently have a `59 Austin Healey 3000 with SU's but once owned a TR-6
with Stromberg's. Check the carburator pistons and make sure they are all
the way down in the housing. If they are sitting up too high because of some
restriction, such as dirt or damper restriction, then the air/fuel mixture
is incorrect. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it would be similar to
holding the pedal down to clear a flooded engine. Yeah I know the
butterfly's are still closed, but with only cranking speed vacuum I don't
believe sufficient amount of fuel vapor will be drawn past the elevated
needle valve. Let's in lots of air but little fuel.

That's my 2 cents worth - good luck!

Mark Preston
mark.preston@ftcollinsco.ncr.com
Colorado Springs, CO.
Rocky Mountain Healey Club                      Austin-Healey Club - Pacific
Centre
        //  1957 MGA 1500  //  1959 AH 3000 BN7  //  1982 Jaguar XJ-6  //