Re: copper brake pipes

To: Sharon Oblinger <c340808@is6.mdc.com>
Subject: Re: copper brake pipes
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 14:20:43 PST

On Wed, 25 Jan 1995, Sharon Oblinger wrote:

>  Question: does anyone have an opinion about copper brake piping?
>           Pro or con? For or against? Been thinking about ordering
>           a piping kit from the UK for the Vitesse and wondering if
>           just making do with do-it-yourself steel piping would
>           be just as good and worth it.
> -- TIA...
>         -----
>        /     \_
>    -- ( - __ - l
> ******-( )  ( )
> Sharon Oblinger
> c340808@is6.mdc.com

It's been discussed here before, and I know that several SOLers have
argued both sides. My own experience was very good with an AUTOMEC(?) kit
I purchased for my Mayflower. I received the kit with a "disclaimer"
stating that the company couldn't absolutely swear that the kit would be
correct as they had no pattern for LHD Mayflowers. Fortunately, LHD
Mayflower brake pipes are a "mirror" image of those for RHD. Everything
fit perfectly, all fittings were correct, NOTHING needed modification or
kludging or excessive sworking.

The only problem I had at all during installation was rounding up a few
sundry pieces to restore the rest of the braking system to original
configuration (as opposed to PO "improvements"). It's been fine now for
over 7 years.

Disclaimer: I'm no metallurgist or engineer, so YMMV; void where
prohibited, I've never met OJ Simpson, etc., etc.

Andy Mace