Obscure Cars ... Depend on Location

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Obscure Cars ... Depend on Location
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 16:38:59 EST
Was interested to read some of the mail on what constitutes an obscure
car.  I imagine the most important factor is location.  Thought I would
briefly mention one part of the world where what we might think is
obscure appeared to me to be part of everyday world.

I have recently returned from a wonderful visit to New Zealand
(especially given the season here in Canada!).  Warm weather and even
warmer people, but, of particular interest, remarkable Brit cars in DAILY
use everywhere.  While newer Japoboxes (I understand many used from
Japan) are now taking over, there are still literally hundreds of 60s and
70s British cars around - especially Morris, Triumph, Rover and various
BMC vehicles of the period.  I mostly saw sedan models which would
actually be considered quite rare in Canada but found relatively few of
the MGB and Triumph sports cars that we see quite a lot of.

Anyway, overall a great britcar experience and I would encourage the Kiwi
members of the network to quit that lurking and keep us informed of some
remarkable vehicles you still have around.  Sadly the impact of salt on
the roads and legislators in the government have largely eliminated some
of the greatest classics here.

Andrew
                   Bus Admin, U of Windsor, Windsor. Ont. CANADA   N9B 3P4
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: templer@uwindsor.ca